permaculture - Re: Logo symbolism

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: eric + michiko <emstorm@metro.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Logo symbolism
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 08:36:00 -0700

Marsha wrote:
> I also remember a letter being published on this list by Bill Mollison
> stating clearly that the logo can be used for non-commercial purposes, such
> as courses. I am sure it is in the archives somewhere.

[Note: Larry just sent in the old message, so I will only send my comments.
Refer to his post for the full message from Bill.]

The massage Larry sent seems to speak to Marsha's comment. I understand
that the logo may be used if credit is given. At the end it does sounds
clear that one may not claim ownership of the logo (and written material),
nor can they be sold, purchased or reproduced (or taught) without giving
credit to Andrew Jeeves, who drew the design on the cover of the Design
Manual, (and Bill). It would appear that all normal copyright laws apply.

In the Bill's statement it is a little unclear about what Bill means by
"common ownership", since later he states sole ownership. And I wonder how
David Holmgren's piece fits in to all of this.

"This material is vested in the Institutes and the graduates of courses and
to that extent in common ownership. But the material itself was solely
evolved by the author and the original curriculum taught in 1979 was
devised by the author alone."

Eric: