permaculture - Re: Logo symbolism

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Logo symbolism
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 15:56:37 -0600

"Misguided notion" means that the understanding is erroneous. Since the logo appeared on the cover of "Permaculture A Designer's Manual" by Bill Mollison everyone has been using it but it is copyrighted and registered and it is illegal to use it and Bill has made that clear in several venues. He shouldn't have to police the use of his copyrighted material any more than any other writer should.
All he has required is that people get permission to use his intellectual property from him. This is a common practice among writers, artists, and other creative folks to protect their work and I don't know why people take such umbrage just because it is permaculture rather than nuclear science. If you use the logo without permission you may be sued for infringement of copyright.

The earth care intention of this approach is that if we rip each other off we are no different from the mindless corporate heads who are ripping off the planet. It's actually more of a people care kind of thing. How would you feel if you nurtured an apple orchard to bearing age and once they fruited your neighbors and friends stripped the tree for their own use, and on top of that insult added the injury of claiming they produced it?