permaculture - Re: Snail Farming.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Marsha Hanzi" <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Snail Farming.
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 06:36:12 -0300

----- Original Message -----
From: Ava Devenport <essenheal@iname.com>
To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2000 5:51 PM
> Dear Marsha:
>
> Can you explain to me what these snails look like? I've suddenly notice
> what appears to be a small albino snail, no shell, in my produce beds.
> Never had them before a week ago and the only snails I'm familiar with are
> in shells.

??? Never saw an albino shelless snail. Anyone playing with genetic
engineering in your neck of the woods? ; -) jus kidding.

> Something is eating my foliage and if it is snails, how to get rid of them
> without using synthetic chemicals?

They are also attracted to fermented things, like beer or yeast /sugar
solutions, as slugs are. I catch snails by putting out plates of limestone
or chickenfeed, which attracts them... You can make a trap with a lip, where
they can ooze in but can't get themselves out again.. If they are tiny, you
can let the chickens loose on them. Of course the chickens will raze your
garden, but this is a good technique if you have a definite season when the
snails are reproducing ( here it is at the beginning of the rainy
season)...That basically gets them in control for me.
Also rats and native rodents ( called Sarigue) eat our snails. I suppose
yours should also have native predators.

Marsha

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: hanzibra@svn.com.br
$subst('Email.Unsub')