permaculture - Re: Snail Farming.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Marsha Hanzi" <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Snail Farming.
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 19:19:40 -0300

Dear Brendan,

I don't know where you live, but my first reaction about snail farming would
be to say don't do it. Snails are major devourers of gardens, and can easily
get out of hand. The European petit gris are the worst pest in European
gardens, and the tropical achatinas are wreaking havoc here in Brazil.

I did raise snails, but don't need to any more-- they are all over the
place, and when I want to have a meal, just pick them up and keep them
fasting for a few days to clean out their guts... They are all over the
place everywhere here in the city, as snail raising was a fad here two years
ago. They have not yet gotten out into the greenbelt growing regions but
should hit them in the next few months...

If these snails already infest your area, then I suppose there would be no
problem in raising them, but if they are not yet around, it would be a most
risky operation-- once they get loose you will never manage to call them
back again...

In any case, I would be most happy to give you this information-- they are
really easy to raise and care for...

Sincerely yours,

Marsha Hanzi
hanzibra@svn.com.br