permaculture - Re: Global Gardner and (c) stuff

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Michael Burns <burns@panix.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Global Gardner and (c) stuff
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 21:08:54 -0400

Scott Pittman wrote:

> We sell the video through the Permaculture Institute.
> Scott

Is the Permaculture Institute in the U.S.A.? Do they have a web site?
Phone number?

Maybe I should introduce myself to the list? If such an introduction is
unusual I then offer my apology.

My exposure and experience with Permaculture has been through working
with Rony Lec in Guatemala, and designing/implementing a school farm in
the same town, under the guidance of Rony Lec and aided by Mollison's
Designers' Manual. I am immensely proud of my success, or should I say,
the success of permaculture principles on the farm. My unconventional 9
month immersion in permaculture in the Mayan Highlands has been one of
the most significant experiences of my life.

I have not been networking with Permaculturalists since I returned to
New York State over a year ago. I've been too busy working as a graduate
student in education. But I have been spreading the word here in
Buffalo, and while I seem to be the most knowledgeable person on the
subject here (so far, I hope that I'll discover someone else here with
experience also!), my recent subscription to this list, has shown me
that I really have little idea of what is going on here in N. America
ala permaculture.

I have been talking to folks about organizing an "Intro to Permaculture"
event here in Buffalo. There is interest. Now I am wondering if I should
cease with the use of the P-word while organizing, less I break
copyright law and dis' those who are properly certified. I posted the
request, because I have seen the video while in Guatemala, and thought
it might make for an easy to organize video event. It could be billed as
a "sustainable agriculture" event featuring a "permaculture video." I
recently helped organize a "video show" about Chiapas, Mexico and had a
great turn out.

Do I have to be certified to promote "Permaculture?" Soon to be a
teacher, I will have some time off in the summer. How do I find a
certification course? I DO NOT WANT TO WORK COUNTER THE PERMACULTURE
ESTABLISHMENT. I've found one web site offering a course this summer,
but the cost of my graduate studies does not leave me with the funds for
a course this year. Nonetheless, I intend to explore the certification
route and I suspect I will go for certification as soon as I can. I
realize that my case is a bit untypical, but I really would like to plug
into the permaculture stream. The discovery of this list is, I suppose,
sort of a wake up call to connect with others beyond my locality,
despite my sympathy with Wendell Berry!

Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Michael Burns

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be
those who cannot read and write,
but those who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn"