permaculture - RE: Permaculture copyright

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <John-Schinnerer@data-dimensions.com>
  • To: 'permaculture' <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Permaculture copyright
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 10:22:41 -0700

Aloha,

-----Original Message-----
From: Graham Burnett [mailto:gburnett@unisonfree.net]
>...it then occured
>that somebody else could in fact copyright MY images, lyrics, articles,
etc, use them for profit
>making purposes and prevent ME from using or diseminating them...

I don't know about copyright law in other countries, but in the USA the
author automatically owns the copyright from the moment of creation. I
don't know if declaring an "anti-copyright," which doesn't mean anything in
the legal systems which supports copyright law, would have any affect on
that. Putting a visible copyright notice on a work is a formality and a
form of "warning" to those who aren't aware of the implicit ownership of
copyright. It might also help in a court of law, if it comes to that.

People can rip off, pervert, plagiarize, whatever, copyrighted stuff anyhow,
and get away with it, unless one has the $$$$ to take them to court and win,
so copyright law offers only as much protection as one can afford to pay
for...

John Schinnerer