permaculture - Re: Permaculture copyright

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Graham Burnett" <gburnett@unisonfree.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Permaculture copyright
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 10:21:41 +0100

A couple of further thoughts on Anti-copyright, freeware, etc,

For a long time I used to put out booklets, tapes (eg, of punk bands I was
in, etc) and so on as
'Anti-copyright', as did alot of other people around the Anarchist scene in
an attempt to
diseminate knowledge, music etc, freely and outside of the arena of the
capitalist marketplace
(beyond of course the need to pay for media, ie, printing, blank tape costs,
etc)- it then occured
that somebody else could in fact copyright MY images, lyrics, articles, etc,
use them for profit
making purposes and prevent ME from using or diseminating them, they could
also be distorted to
promote things I don't believe in or support, eg, my artwork might be used by
a fascist
organisation, or Monsanto or something (unlikely, but y'never know!).

so now i do copyright my publications etc for reasons of protection- I think
the case i used
yesterday of Gummer trying through the UK courts to redefine Permaculture was
a good example- if
Bill Mollison had declared the term 'Anti Copyright' he wouldn't have had a
leg to stand on!

I'm usually pretty happy for people to use my graphics, etc in their
publications, though like
anyone I appreciate a credit (i was pretty chuffed to see alot of the stuff
in the RTS/Guerrilla
Gardening literature was from an article I'd written for Green Anarchist
Magazine over 10 years
ago, but in this case pretty pleased that i didn't get a credit!!!)... i'd
imagine
Mollison/Holmgren are much the same, happy for people to use their
stuff/build on & develop their
ideas, even happier to get a credit, happier still to make some money, but
not so happy when
people, organisations or governments try to actually alter the basic precepts
and underlying
philosophy & definition of the body of thought they have founded...

Does this sound reasonable?

Cheers,

Graham Burnett
35 Rayleigh Avenue