permaculture - Re: Plant based latex

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Ava Devenport" <essenheal@iname.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: Plant based latex
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 16:49:27

Emily,

You are absolutely correct regarding plants that are disappearing due to
unethical wildcrafting, changes in the eco-system and chemical poisoning.

With all of the renewed interest in natural health and herbal supplements,
wild plant gathering has been a boon to some of those seeking to gain cash
without regard to balance. There are many non-profit organizations out
there that have a mission to help return and save native plants that are
considered 'at-risk' and endangered. Plus there are many good guidelines
to 'ethical wildcrafting'. One of the best that I know of is United Plant
Savers. They have a website at www.plantsavers.org the newsletter is
on-line and they have many good areas of concern, one of them 'ethical
wildcrafting' which outlines good practices concerning wildcrafting,
although their biggest mission is to try to get concerned individuals to
cultivate these disappearing medicnal herbs that have been at our beck and
call for so many centuries. They also have instituted Community Action
Teams for support to those who are actively trying to save the plants from
areas such as re-development and new development. Believe it or not, there
may be many laws AGAINST removing plants from personal and public property,
but not many yet protecting the plants themselves, although there are some
states making headway in this aspect also. You have to obtain a permit and
permission to remove plants from an area that is going to be subsidized (or
you're considered a thief, or committing property damage) but it is not
unlawful for a development company to go onto their own property and raze
these plants with bulldozers.

Please, anyone who has even the slightest interest in the future of our
native plants, stop by UpS website, get a community Action team together.
It's only good for us, our future generations and the world at large.
Don't just think about, we're losing thousands of plants EVERY SINGLE DAY.
Cultivate, reforest, do it, don't wait for someone else to do it, make a
real difference, our future is at stake!

"It is a bad remedy when something of nature perishes" - Publilius Syrus
(60-120 A.D.)

And please remember, gather your seeds, save some and share the the rest!

Blessings,
Ava

P.S. All of the plant materials I use, have been cultivated by my hands,
never taken from the wild!