permaculture - Plant based latex

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Ava Devenport" <essenheal@iname.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Plant based latex
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 16:58:5

I have been doing a self-funded research project over the last year for the
Southwest Solar Adobe School in New Mexico. Basically, I've been working
with milkweed (asclepias incarnata), a plant that I have found to be
extremely hardy and versatile, high in latex content.

My purpose regarding this research is to develop a 'green' stabilizer and
waterproofing agent to replace the asphalt emulsions and Portland cement
that is used in Adobe brick and Rammed Earth construction, both high-energy
consumptive, as well as chemically allergenic. Milkweed proves to be a
plant that can be cultivated, thus adding to the agricultural community as
an alternative crop. Previous and ongoing research has been utilized by
the Natural Fibers Corp., using the floss as an insulation material
(milkweed has a long history of this use), the latex has been proven
hypo-allergenic and the possible source as a domestic rubber replacement in
making latex gloves, etc., and the seed meal left over from the pod and
fiber has proven it can be used as an alternative for methyl bromide to
control nematodes that damage potatoes, tomatoes and peppers.

I am now collecting other research. Has anyone on this list been using any
type of plant based materials for waterproofing, adding solar mass, etc.?
I would appreciate the opportunity of gleaning any insights you may have
available, any trials you've done or consider doing, and any results you
have compiled, good or bad. I do know that they have been using some
Prickly Pear Cactus in parts of Mexico, but know one I've communicated with
has had any data other than "chop it up and add some of the slime to your
clay". Thanks to all, I appreciate it.

Blessings,
Ava