permaculture - Re: comfrey

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: rick valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: comfrey
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 00 12:46:08 -0700

>comfrey spreads in
>> >her garden and takes over

She probably does not use comfrey as a major element of fertility.
If she also tills- that's the #1 way to propagate it!
I have had rodents take root cuttings & store them, and then they grow-
presto! comfrey pops up in odd places. But I plant comfrey along wire
fences- much easier to manage than weedy grasses, and a wonderful green
manure.

>I am having trouble getting comfrey established due too frequent
>tillage near/over their beds.

If you can't do it any other way, start it in pots- a 2 inch piece of
root will do; but i usually dibble crown divisions in to the area and
then mulch with fresh manure & pee on it frequently the first season. If
there are chickens in the area, mulch sticks under the manure. To keep
tillers away, use scrap steel.
-Rick

PS, big points to Akiva for remaining civil and communicative!