permaculture - Re: zone peac6

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Akiva Werbalowsky" <akivaw@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: zone peac6
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 21:04:27 PST

Scott,
Your "feisty" post caught me by surprise, as I had no debate with your initial comments. Some words which seemed to irk you were from someone else's post,not mine, and my comment was to the overall discussion.

In response however, I always recommend study of the Design Manual for a foundational understanding of permaculture. Perhaps you didn't realize that I was not joking when I described the Design Manual as a sacred text because I believe that in a good and unencumbered way, and hope to continue absorbing the abundant wisdom therein. This has nothing to do with being slavish or unthinking, as I would hesitate describing anyone who honors the sacred (whatever that means to them).

Additionally, the linguistic device of describing elder males who accomplish great vision as fathers... like in "the fathers of this nation"... works just fine as a term of respect in my estimation as a poetic tool. There's no subtext or anything I need to "get over". Teaching and stewarding a stable, agreed-upon foundation for collaborative practice has been a important traditional role of older men, and also older women, even to the point of a conservatism or orthodoxy to keep younger adepts on focused. I have no complaint with any of your fine posts or your integral role in southwest permaculture.

Mollison clearly invites us all to observe and act ethically in care of the earth. He, himself, models a certain, let's say... confidence...when sharing what he's observed to be true, though some describe that as arrogance. Each of us has the opportunity to share what we've observed as significant and to not disown our experience because it's not initially acknowledged by others. This is, of course, in the spirit and function of permaculture in this rapidly changing social landscape.

I would not ask you to explore spirit or other less easily measured influences (referred to lately as zone 6) in your permaculture curriculum if you'd rather not. In fact it's good to have a place to refer folks looking for straight ahead/principled training free of zone 6 discussions if that's their and your preference. If other people wish to include their personal experience in these areas, I also accept that, and a differnt group will congregate. Of course, their work must have an underpinning in harmony with the permaculure principles if it's to be considered as such. We each have a place in permaculture and the large shifts of sentience pouring forth and over this planet in many ways, this email list as example. I'd be loathe to exclude anyone from the mix if they are aligned with permaculture ethics and want to learn more. There is a great diversity of what people are attracted to, just as pattern would indicate in a vibrant design.

Since you probably have thought about this more than most, what are your recommendations of how to best include participant-driven diversity in permaculture discussion, an active edge this season? I've enjoyed what I've read so far.

Please, if you do have areas of a more personal concern, let's correspond off-list, or at least keep it on-list in a more collegial manner.

Thanks,
Akiva

From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
Since you insist of taking my words out of context for rhetoric's sake I must correct your seeming lack of comprehension. I stated that before we change the themes covered in Bill's book that we should "think carefully". The thinking part may have been what through you. I didn't say or even intimate that we should slavishly follow the "sacred text" but that we should be careful. What is it with this "father" thing - get some help and get over it!

It's comforting that you are ahead of Bill and "most people" in your
comprehension of permaculture. I do note your humility in the last sentence.

Your attempt at levity belies your arrogance!

Get real!
Scott