permaculture - Fwd: Nitrogen in mesquite

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <hemenway@jeffnet.org>
  • To: permaculture digest <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Fwd: Nitrogen in mesquite
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 10:03:13 -0800 (PST)

I got this email from a couple in Oz who read the alt.permaculture
newsgroup. If anyone--hey you desert dwellers--can help them, you should
respond directly to them as I don't think they read this list. But please
post an answer here, too, since I'm curious. I assume that wood has less
nitrogen than leaves, but mesquite has such high-protein pods and
alkaloid-containing sap that I'd guess the whole thing is high in nitrogen.

Toby