permaculture - Re: Kiwano (Cucumis metuliferus)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Rene and Lorraine van Raders" <rvraders@tpgi.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Kiwano (Cucumis metuliferus)
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 15:42:28 +1000

Hi we also call the kiwano, African horned cucumber. It grows very well
for us in the tropics during our wet summers, maturing in winter (we're
17degrees S, at 740m above sealevel... tropical highlands). It self seeds.
One vine can produce 20 - 30 cucumbers. Regular cucumbers are harder to
grow. Like most vines I know it grows very lushly for some time before
flowering. The fruit is eaten green as a cucumber or orange as a fruit
(great in fruit salad)... the pulp is scooped out.
Cheers Rene van Raders
Far North Queensland, Australia

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: london@metalab.unc.edu