permaculture - Re: Kiwano (Cucumis metuliferus)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ute Bohnsack <sustag@tinet.ie>
  • To: perma-l@linda.alternativ.net
  • Subject: Re: Kiwano (Cucumis metuliferus)
  • Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:13:58 +0100

Peter Birkett wrote:

> Dear Ute
>
> I grew Kiwanos last year in my greenhouse ( situated 35 km West of Munich).
> I didn't pay the Kiwanos much attention and grew them between Tomatoes. They
> did come in the end, but very late. I think I got my first fruit in October,
> although I did not as I remember start particularly early in the season. I
> think I sowed in April and planted at the end of May.
So there's hope yet...

> I did however decide to drop them as the fruits weren't any better tasting
> than good cucumbers and a lot more difficult to handle.
Hmmm. It was the description as tasting between melon and banana that
attracted
me...
They definitely serve well as a weed-suppressing ground cover!!!

For massive crops I
> suggest Lagonaria which climb all over the place (one escaped onto the roof
> of my greenhouse, I was scared the fruits would break the windows) and taste
> good.

I got some seeds for next year already!

> If they don't wan't to fruit try breaking of the growing tips, maybe they'll
> change to fruiting. Whereas if they are not producing flowers maybe a
> spraying of Valerian extract (Baldrianblueten) will help.
I have cut of the tips as someone else on alt.permaculture had suggested that.
Valerian is a good idea, too.

> Kiwano seems to be in at the moment, I think mostly because they look odd.
Certainly not out here. Have never seen them anywhere. Maybe in Dublin. But
then
there are plenty people here who have never eaten a squash, aubergine or
radish
in their life.

> Hope this helped.
Sure did. Thanks.

> Pete

Ute
BTW Have we met? In Prinzhöfte or Steyerberg?

--
Dipl.-Ing. TU Landschafts- und Freiraumplanung
Ute Bohnsack