permaculture - Re: Kiwano (Cucumis metuliferus)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Peter.Birkett@t-online.de (Peter Birkett)
  • To: <perma-l@linda.alternativ.net>
  • Subject: Re: Kiwano (Cucumis metuliferus)
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 17:51:36 +0200

Dear Ute

I grew Kiwanos last year in my greenhouse ( situated 35 km West of Munich).
I didn't pay the Kiwanos much attention and grew them between Tomatoes. They
did come in the end, but very late. I think I got my first fruit in October,
although I did not as I remember start particularly early in the season. I
think I sowed in April and planted at the end of May.

I did however decide to drop them as the fruits weren't any better tasting
than good cucumbers and a lot more difficult to handle. For massive crops I
suggest Lagonaria which climb all over the place (one escaped onto the roof
of my greenhouse, I was scared the fruits would break the windows) and taste
good.

If they don't wan't to fruit try breaking of the growing tips, maybe they'll
change to fruiting. Whereas if they are not producing flowers maybe a
spraying of Valerian extract (Baldrianblueten) will help.

Kiwano seems to be in at the moment, I think mostly because they look odd.

Hope this helped.

Pete