permaculture - Compost fungi and allergies

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marsha Hanzi <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Compost fungi and allergies
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 09:11:55 -0300

Dear friends at the list:
I just received a letter from a person who is implanting a garden
in a kindergarden using compost of horse manure and straw, and a heavy
mulch of cut grass. One of the children has presented respiratory
problems, and this child's father has suggested that the culpit may be
the fungi involved in the decomposition process of the garden.
(However, the children were also exposed to dust about the same time).
Have any of you heard about allergic reactions to these fungi? I
would appreciate the information, which I shall pass on to the person
involved.

Thank you very much.

Marsha Hanzi
Instituto de Permacultura da Bahia