permaculture - Re: Compost fungi and allergies

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Skye <skye@tortuga.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Compost fungi and allergies
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 23:09:02 -0600

Hola Marsha

Don't know the scientific name for the culprit, but I have experienced
fungal problems like you described. Many years ago I was composting
large volumes of sheep manure, mixed with waste straw bedding and sea
grass. The dry summers (this was in Aust) I sometimes found that when I
turned the heap, the whole bulk looked very grey and dry. This was a
fungus that seemed to prefer the slightly drier conditions. When
disturbed (by turning) it rapidly formed a very fine dust cloud which
frequently gave me slight problems with hay fever and conjuntivitus
(both reactions to dust, pollen etc). I eventually avoided this problem
by simply taking more care with the moisture levels during the dry
periods. I found that as long as the heap was kept moist enough, this
particular form of fungus didn't occur, or at least wasn't so prolific
and problem causing.

Maybe that helps!!
Love
Skye
--
Skye - Apdo # 391, Patzcuaro, Michoacan, CP. 61600 México.
fax (52) 01 (434) 24743

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: london@metalab.unc.edu
leave-permaculture-75156P@franklin.oit.unc.edu