permaculture - Re: Keyline !ATTN!: Darren & Frank & everyone else on the list

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <london@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Keyline !ATTN!: Darren & Frank & everyone else on the list
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 23:28:21 -0400 (EDT)

Lawrence F. London, Jr. -+|+- Venaura Farm
london@metalab.unc.edu lflondon@worldnet.att.net
http://metalab.unc.edu/london, /permaculture, /ecolandtech
EcoLandTech -+|+- InterGarden -+|+- Permaculture

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Australia Felix wrote:

> I hope you are well this morning (evening for you!!). I've been on the
> computer since about 5.30 am sorting out some stuff with Marsha in Brazil
> that potentially could use this technology as well. Good on you for taking
> this initiative - if we've got it we may as well use it.

Absolutely. The sky's the limit. We have plenty of storage space and great
software here. Ane me around to watchdog it all.

> I am real keen to get the ball rolling and will have to pull my finger out
> get cracking....I need to understand how we might physically go about this
> process though - we have time as Frank's not able to do anything until some

You and Frank & others jsu follow my instructions in previous message -
click on the upload or download links - once in the pics or docs upload
page then click on the box that allows you to locate the file on your
computer to be uploaded - click on the file - then click on the submit
button - then you can check your work by clicking on the upload directory
and see if your file is there, viewable and/or downloadable. For pics
it would, for the present, be advisable to also upload a text file
containing identification for your pic(s). The documents that are uploaded
should be plain old ascii text for general use, i.e. putting them online
in our respective webpages, or word processor files for offline work.
Pics should be either .jpg, .gif .bmp will be OK but the others are
better. You can upload sound files too! .wav or others are OK (I'm new at
sound files), put them in the pics directory (essentially for binary
uploads). There's a great gong.wav file in there I just uploaded - will
rock you out of your seat.

> time in August. I suspect you will need something of a
rundown of the
> process that I will undertake to do just this. I will get to work on this on
> Monday next week.

Yes. I would like to know what sort of information you need us to upload
in order for you to evaluate the sites we are building permaculture
systems on, i.e. catchments, water channeling, etc. I assume you need
photographs of the site, land plat with elevations, done to scale,
overlays with fixtures to be built (ponds, ditches, canals, swales,
pools, berms and other water channels, gardens, fields, orchards,
outbuilding and housing, water treatment, etc.) I wonder if we could
eventually use GIS devices to acquire information for a GIS database
that could then be converted to an image file or a blueprint or both.

You could remotely build a nice international permaculture site prep
consulting business using these resources. Have a go!

> Look forward to hearing from you soon.
>
> Yours and Growing,

Right on and thanks for the feedback.

Lawrence