permaculture - Re: magic formula/land use

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: georg <georg@2012.org>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: magic formula/land use
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 23:09:58 +0200

>- i apply myself for...a broader vision...*higher complexity and
> harmonious organization*
>- dig your garden, plant trees along the roadside, educate your
> neighbor's kids, get this local seed exchange going, give
> perennial spinach plants to whomever wants them
>
>And these are what make _you_ feel good, with the thought that, although it
>makes no difference in the long run, it might lead to humans being around a
>little longer.

addition/correction: i small braincell don't know if it makes a difference
or not - and i don't require that knowledge in order to feel ok, as i don't
experience this knowledge as part of my 'job' as a braincell

>To be consistent wouldn't you need to accept domination as having its
>function in the bigger scheme of things?

i do accept domination as being a part of this, and it obviously was an
important part so far (look at history or the average marriage) - but i
doesn't make me feel good to go along with it - be it out there or my own
tendencies to dominate.

'feeling good' might be quite different from 'doing what i want' - i mean
doing what gives you (and i am aware that i do not preach in the subway but
talk to quite sensitive and aware people here on a list about cutting edge
techniques for satisfying their material needs) the true and deep feeling
of meaning, of fulfilment, of feeling good about yourself. if we only watch
this we dont need to talk about cooperation and altruism and all this - i
dont trust any altruists who are not altruistic for the egotistical reason
that they can only be happy if you are happy too, we dont need to worry
about exxon-reps being slaughtered or lack of concern for others.

now this certainly raises the question about all the rest, about these
people in the proverbial subway with the proverbial lack of concern for
others. well, i havent been born that way i am, 25 years ago i was doing
dope and booze and driving around for fun, disturnbing neighbourhoods with
my rocknroll at midnight and all that - and obviously it was exactly what
has gotten me to the point where i am. pressure breeds counterpressure and
prolongs the struggle.

>"whatever an individual thinks is right is right for them" and "you should
>just mind your own business and let others do whatever they want".

i would just slightly alter this: "whatever an individual does is right for
all of us (because it is personified nature acting)" and since i don't see
such a thing as my and your business only ours, i would rephrase that to
"let others do what they cant help doing and share your heartfelt reaction
with them" - and this is all i personally think i can do ethically (my
ethics i receive from my heart) - but i agree that it is far easier to go
into the blame bit...

>whomever wants them", unless you just happen to enjoy gardening.

again: this is not about superficial enjoyment but about following your
heart of hearts - but think you got this part of my reality so far *s*

thank you for caring

georg @ 2012.org