permaculture - Sustainable Building Materials Audit

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: gardenbetty@earthlink.net
  • To: permaculture list <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Sustainable Building Materials Audit
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:26:45 -0500

This summer I am hoping to start a sustainable building demonstration project
(my new house!) and wish to use the MOST environmentally/human-friendly
materials available. In addition to using these materials, I want to produce
literature comparing these materials to conventional and other types of
alternative materials.

Well, there are a lot of materials that go into a house and I am trying to
find research and data comparing the TOTAL economic benefit of different
building materials. For example: how does fiberglass insulation compare to
cellulose, cotton, straw, etc. for price, environmental impact, health impact,
labor impact, insulation quality, recyclability, etc...

I am hoping to find this info for roofing materials, wall materials (interior
and exterior), windows, doors, insulation, flooring, etc.

Haven't had a lot of luck so far, just hard to read studies on the water
run-off quality from asphalt shingling versus metal roofing, etc. Any
anecdotes, assistance or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

--
dawn
aka gardenbetty

We will be known by the tracks we leave behind... —Dakota proverb