permaculture - Re: dirt or Earth?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Osmond <paul@tj.netlink.com.au>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: dirt or Earth?
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 19:26:58 +1000

At 08:44 AM 12/06/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Paul,
>While I wholeheartedly agree with your ideas concerning the need to "have a
>serious think about global climate change and in particular, what (who) is
>causing this", it is naive at this point in our learning process to only
>look to the effects. What has brought us to this point of needing to 'fix'
>the planet and the consciousness of people that have created these symptoms?
>Isn't it true that humans' addiction to comfort, instant gratification and
>the LACK of awareness of this planet AS a sentient being (Gaia hypothesis)
>and that all are interconnected is part of the root cause that has brought
>our planet to the state it is in?

Exactly the point I was trying to make by suggesting we have a think about
what is causing these problems (although you have stated the case a lot more
eloquently!)

>The attempt at a quick fix to the effects
>and symptoms has not entirely balanced our situation, evidently, though
>always there is more to DO. Perhaps it is timely to look to the more core
>areas having to do with original patterns creation is based upon that have
>been disrupted due to greed and general human lack of understanding and
>awareness and begin to focus here also.

Fair comment - I agree.

>You said... "We don't need to seek explanations in auras and crystal balls,
>we need to do something practical NOW". Just as there are scientists and
>technical wizards in the field of 'what to do' to apply 'practical'
>knowledge to eliminate the existing problems in the physical world, there
>are those whose expertise fall in the area of working with the subtle
>energies that underly physical reality and apply 'practical' wisdom in the
>subtler and underlying grids, as well. All are interconnected and it is
>limiting and overly-simplistic for us, at this point in our evolving life on
>the earth, to think only one of these is relevant! It is time we stretch to
>hold a vaster concept and work all and BOTH of these simutaneously.

I think a good permacultural framework to adopt is "if it works - do it".
Certainly is is a bonus if we UNDERSTAND why it works, but this is not
always possible (or indeed necessary). I like to think of the Chinese
"Barefoot doctor" program of the '70s (don't know if they still do it)
whereby the BD's combined the most effective aspects of both Chinese and
Western medicine in order to go out and HEAL people, which of course is what
it was all about. There is a planet out there which needs healing, and if
those working with the subtler energies and underlying grids can help do it,
that's great.

>It is a sham to assume this is all 'woo-woo' or frivolous. There are many
>knowledgable individuals, well-studied in Permaculture and other life
>sciences that have turned to ideas that are based on the more quantum level
>of solutions, while not at ALL eliminating the more physical solutions.
>These often can appear to be 'flakey' to those who do not understand the
>laws and dynamics that have their basis there.

Certainly it is far too easy to reject what one doesn't understand, not to
mention counterproductive. However, the point I was trying to make is that
like the Chinese barefoot doctors, we need to know not only what works, but
what works best in what situation.

>Many experts, many fields, many scientists, many mystics..we all have our
>place. In working together towards a common goal, we might have a chance to
>make the changes that are required for our planet to survive and I submit,
>IMHO, the ONLY way we have!

I can't disagree with that! Thanks for a thought-provoking posting.

Paul