permaculture - RE: Vegan Pc

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lee Flier <lflier@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Vegan Pc
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 18:02:16 -0400

Gene wrote:

>The only problem with vegan groups and permaculture is when they demand
>that everyone in the group follow their philosophies, to the point of
>creating a litmus test for entry into the group. This type of exclusivism
>can exist with any group, not just vegans. A more proper term for this I
>think is "cult". Vegan cultism and permaculture do seem IMO mutually
>exclusive as Lee points out. But individual preferences, in the context of
>widescale tolerance and even encouragement of diversity, to me fit well
>with permaculture principles.

Yeah exactly! I think a community that has both vegans/veggies and
omnivores would work just fine, as long as everybody's tolerant as you say.
Unfortunately that is often not the case. I could see potential problems
with vegans being disturbed by others in the community raising and/or
hunting animals.

Sigh... it ain't easy trying to save the world... :-)

= Lee =

Lee A Flier
lflier@mindspring.com
Atlanta and Ellijay, Georgia, U.S.A.