permaculture - domestic animals and environment imbalance

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "April Sampson-Kelly" <askpv@ozemail.com.au>
  • To: <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: domestic animals and environment imbalance
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 17:51:53 +1000

seeing I am usually of just one mind, I am pretty confident I only have one
emotion about my grass at any one time - [this is a little Joke - so don't take offence in any way.]
the point is - I have some kikuyu grass willing to roll over and die - it
has very willing replacements and
all goes well,
then on another slope I have WWIII with it, because the climate is ideal for
it above all else.
In both cases there is no emotional response,  I have tried to do nothing,
to not fight back
and - I lost, unless I eat the kikuyu I too will be skin and bone.
so I try to work around the problem as you suggested in a way,
I change the balance, and sit back and observe.
even by doing nothing we are in fact altering our future.
When I stood in 'National Parks of England' last year I could see
my own homeland in little under 200 years IF I DID NOTHING.
we have to risk making small mistakes, be armed with observation  and
humility
and we may find ourselves in the middle of a very good outcome.
two months ago I had a stray cat move in, every little element in the system
responded
bit by bit it was taking over, prepared to have kittens and a life of
domination,
I realised I was becoming part of its plan by not protecting the existing
animals.
It had to go, fortunately my boys could see the wisdom in its surrender to
the RSPCA.
they had been keen enough to observe its impact.
A weed to me has always been a plant or animal that does not respect
diversity,
Each animal (cat, dog, insect) has to measured by its actions.

I have noticed that there is active campaigns to de-sex dogs belonging to
our outback families,
I think this great and should be encouraged.  One dog may not be a threat
but One whole hungry litter
would be.  Cat licences are also becoming compulsory here.
April

April Sampson-Kelly ADPA,BCA,MCA,GradSci,PDC
LC Permaculture Visions
leaders in permaculture learning by correspondence
askpv@ozemail.com.au
sampsms@ozemail.com.au
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~askpv
GOOD PLANETS ARE HARD TO FIND