permaculture - RE: invasive non natives

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Carl Jeffry Goebel <goebel@wsu.edu>
  • To: "'permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu'" <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: invasive non natives
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 10:19:52 -0700

The discussion about non-natives always amuses me. As an European originated
descendent who works with Native Americans, I am always amused how the
discussion of "those" invasive weeds, etc. seems to forget how much mixing of
the globe has gone on over the last couple of hundred years, as well as over
millions of years.

Is there such a thing as "good" and "bad" species? Is eradication realistic,
or is it just another way to divert resources (money, time, fossil energy,
chemicals) from more important work?

Good day.