permaculture - Re: Mollison bashing

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Eugene F. Monaco" <EFMonaco@compuserve.com>
  • To: "INTERNET:permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu" <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Mollison bashing
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 13:49:39 -0400

Message text written by INTERNET:permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
>Actually, I don't think there were too many people at the course AT ALL,
and it was an honor and privelege to be among most of the people who were
there (just to clarify, I was at the Southern Cal. course which was not the
same one in which Bill and Scott had to make a dramatic exit from the
premises. However it was the same promoter so the problems already existed
- and there was still a very large number of students).

Lee, from my experiences 125 is darn close to the limit in the setting of
those classes. The Northern Calif. class was more than double that.

>I agree with you that I think the promoters screwed up, but not for that
particular reason. <

What then? I respect Dan's position that we shouldn't gossip, but if there
is no dialogue on issues without Mollison's presence then we're not going
to uncover other things pertinent to what we're doing.

>........ Also let's remember that Mollison didn't start teaching
permaculture
until he was nearly 50. Before that he had just about every sort of job
you could name, and THAT is what enabled him to become a good designer and
teacher. In a permaculture-style economy, people will be multi-skilled as
we had to be in times past, and income will likely come from many diverse
sources. The commentary we've seen here and in the PC Activist articles
suggests that a lot of teachers have their eggs in one basket and are also
attempting to hoard information that ought never to be hoarded. This is a
very important issue, perhaps the very heart of the conflicts we are
seeing.<

I tend to agree; however, it's easier said than done. Pioneer life.

Gene