permaculture - Re: Mollison bashing

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: YankeePerm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Mollison bashing
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 09:41:13 -0400 (EDT)

Regardin the Activist letters, I think that the authors took an unfortunate
route to express what some people to perceive to be a problem. I suggest
that perhaps more harm than good will come of making this a topic of
discussion on the internet.

My personal approach with Bill, when I have had problems with his personal
role as opposed to his written positions, has been to take the matter to him
directly. In any case, we need a more secure arrangement, strictly for
permaculture teachers, for this discussion in my opinion. I don't notice
Bill participating in this forum, so how can we discuss what he does
personally, except to gossip? Since we surely can't presume to require him
to be on the list, I suggest that the people who are really
affected--permaculture teachers and Bill--try to set up a more direct forum.

There are actual public matters that no one has commented on, e.g. arbitrary
creation of a national permaculture organization for the USA, once again, is
this the fourth for fifth time?, with no consultation of the permaculture
community, meaning design course graduates. Do we want a national
organization. Is the design consistent with permaculture? How do officers
get selected? If we want one, what do we want it to do? (Here we get back
to the point.) Should it not promote American permaculturists as any other
professional organization does? Etc. From that discussion, we might also
clarify some of the pros and cons of Bill's role as a teacher in North
America and maybe, depending on how we define ourselves, Hawaii too.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
courses via email. Next starts in Oct. 1997. Internships available.
Copyright, 1997, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52, Sparr FL 32192 USA
YankeePerm@aol.com

We don't have time to rush.