permaculture - Re: Re: reprise: guilds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: YankeePerm@aol.com
  • To: london@sunsite.unc.edu, owner-permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu, permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Re: reprise: guilds
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 12:42:46 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 10/7/97 5:43:06 PM, london@sunsite.unc.edu wrote:

>Dan: How do you define a "Standard Design"? Is this a "macro" approach
>that would, in reality, utilize the development of "plant guilds" within
>a permaculture design for a given area of land?

Actually, this is Bill's concept and approach. As others have pointed out in
this discussion, there are certain solutions that have a broader
applicability than just one design. For example, in our special order list
we have species lists, energy value tables for North American tree species,
solutions to convection circulation that heat and cool homes in season, water
cisterns that automatically reserve the first flush of water full of bird
shit, etc., for irrigation, an "open siphon" design that can accept catchment
water from different levels for point by point gravity irrigation on very
porous soils, etc. We do not have species assemblies as such, though we have
the raw materials to concoct them based on design need, compatibility, and sit
e requirements. I can see a species assembly being useful where someone
requires a specific species in a specific climate and wants to know what goes
with it. For example, despite their serious need for high maintenance for
must uses, apples are popular. What works with apples? Well we know that
there are spontanious, virtually symbiotic associations of black raspberry?
What else. Maybe there would be a package of species that would work, but
I've never seen one. I'd fear that they would be more limiting than
enabling. There are just too many factors. Biological solutions are
generally far more complex and site specific than things like irrigation
systems, convection loops, etc. I've seen apple associated in other places,
again spontaneously, with (Eastern NA) blackberries, red raspberries, and
black raspberries, all worked out nicely as to shade/sun/moisture factors.
If I had a standard design for this, I'd want to know that a bonafide
permaculture designer were using it as other site factors could be very
different. I have seen in Spain (Catalonia) apples coming through the
blackberries, just as Mollison describes. I don't recall seeing it
elsewhere, but obviously it happens also in Australia. In some places, the
brambles may suppress the trees. I keep getting toughts to go on with this,
but that's my point. There is no substitution for experience. It takes an
experienced person to properly interpret and apply the experiences of others.
The requirement for instant, vs earned, gratification is a problem in our
society, world wide now that TV has spread like cancer, and that is working
against us. I think for this discussion we have to accept that there are
people who want to skip the preparation time and learn as they go and others
who feel that preparation is time well spent.

That seems to be the only part of Larry's post that requires a reply from me.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
courses via email. Next starts in Oct. 1997. Internships available.
Copyright, 1997, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52, Sparr FL 32192 USA
YankeePerm@aol.com

We don't have time to rush.