permaculture - reprise: guilds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Miekal And <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: permaculture@envirolink.org
  • Subject: reprise: guilds
  • Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 11:23:39 +0100

Im not content to see this "discussion" about guilds laid to rest yet.
Dan H mentioned that he thot it was one of Mollison's weaker ideas, that
there are no ready made answers when it comes to species selection. &
while I agree that nothing replaces knowing the plants & what will work
& what wont work, I also think that there are ways of thinking of design
that build upon nature & evolutionary affinities that some plants have
with other plants. Companion planting has been mentioned tho in my book
I think of garden annuals. I am also quite interested in designs that
further the ideas of Alan Kapuler & Olaf Brentmar & co-evolutionary
gardening, which I see as a taxonomical guild system.

Also for the record I wonder if the notion of guilds actually originates
from Mollison, I believe that indigenous agriculture has been enlarging
upon these notions forever, for instance the 3 sisters & medicine
gardens are 2 that come to mind. But then what is a guild?

Miekal And
--
Dreamtime Village website: http://net22.com/dreamtime