permaculture - Re: food irradiation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Fuller <sol3az@igc.apc.org>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: Tim Reynolds <t.reynolds@motiv.co.uk>, permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: food irradiation
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 03:27:13 -0700 (PDT)

The object of food irradiation is to stop things moving. By that we mean
genes, and their products, the various toxins that some E.coli strains
produce.

We digest proteins that we consume, and interconvert the oligopeptides
and amino acids into the host of substances that make up our communities.

We convert sugars...we assemble pretty much what 4 billion years of
genetic experimentation has equipped us to deal with.

But what you are talking about is dead meat...

Very dead meat....meat that the autolysis process has begun to convert
into the classic "tender" steak. The free radicals and lipid peroxides
have just a tiny path length before they expire in a welter of
half-denatured proteins (Rare Steak).

A shame that the 25 million pounds of protein-rich food was wasted in a
world that has so little care for its poor. We are not dealing with
Cordon Bleu cooking here, but simply the need to provide the basic
building blocks for life.