permaculture - Re: food irradiation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <london@sunsite.unc.edu>
  • To: Tim Reynolds <t.reynolds@motiv.co.uk>
  • Cc: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: food irradiation
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 23:54:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Tim Reynolds wrote:

> > john valenzuela wrote:
> > > I don't see that food irradiation fits into permaculture.
Agreed. Why don't we try to end this thread pretty soon?

> It is my understanding that irradiation of food makes use of high
> voltages to create ionising radiation, much the same way as x-rays
> are produced. In both processes there is no involvement of
> radioactive materials and no radioactive by-products.

Wrong. Electricity is not used. Spent nuclear fuel is used to irradiate
food products. It probably kills enzymes in the food utilized by humans
for digestion. It may destroy vitamins & produce unhealthy or toxic
byproducts as well.

For all you would like to know about food irradiation call:

Food and Water
Vermont, USA
1-800-EATSAFE (there may be a new number)
- maybe thay have email & a website