permaculture - Re: Ozark Challenges

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Steve Diver" <steved@ncatark.uark.edu>
  • To: steved@ncatark.uark.edu, owner-permaculture@envirolink.org, permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu, Elfpermacl@aol.com
  • Cc: permaculture@envirolink.org
  • Subject: Re: Ozark Challenges
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 17:18:19 +0000

A few observations on sheet mulching, as a follow-up to Ozark
Challenges and the control of bermudagrass:

The permaculture way is to go with current energy (i.e., renewable
rather than fossil fuel), to reduce pollution, to avoid toxics, and to
use organic and biological resources as much as possible.

In this context, plastic is a poor choice as a sheet mulch in
comparison to an organic sheet mulch system based on layers of newspaper
or cardboard topped with leaves, straw, or hay. Thus, I think it
was helpful to get that message from Dan Hemmenway about permaculture
and plastic (attached below).

Taking into account where people are on the scale of permanance,
I also think it appropriate to present a number of non-chemical or
low-input options and let people work within the framework of a
transition to permanance. It seems natural that permanance will
grow on them once they have experienced the alternative. And, if we
have a chance to present the holistic or deeper framework that permaculture
has to offer, we can help in this shift at a personal and community
level.

As a farm advisor and permaculture teacher, the critical thing in
my way of thinking in terms of bermudagrass control is that the
novice gardener/farmer understands the urgency of keeping on
top of this plant that at one time was commonly known
as "Devil's Weed."

As an example, a friend looked askance at the roadside flower bed I
established last year with a strip of Sunbelt fabric weed barrier
10'x90' in size. She wanted to know why I didn't just mulch that patch
of bermudagrass and Johnsongrass with straw.

The reason is that straw alone would have resulted in a nightmare,
because the bermuda would grow right through it...and the
hard-to-find native plants, prairie wildflowers, herbaceous
perennials, and herbs that were planted there would have vanished,
since it was a low-maintenance bed by design. On the other hand,
a "sheet" of newspaper or cardboard underlying the straw mulch would
shift the whole equation by providing a barrier underneath the mulch

This seems like a simple matter, but it is critical that some
"system" of weed control is understood and implemented before putting
a tremendous amount of effort into a doomed project.

In support of the organic sheet mulch method, I offer three items:

1.
One of the best little articles and descriptions of the organic
sheet mulch system was in the newsletter of The Permaculture Activist
about a year ago. It described all the wonders of microbial and soil
life as a result of the breakdown and decomposition from the organic
materials etc.

2.
The City of Fayetteville, Arkansas is fortunate to have in its
horticulture department a few really progressive women in key
positions. In the most prominent and beautiful park in town,
Lisa P. the city gardener had a very successful experience in
controlling bermudagrass via the organic sheet mulch method. She
covered a huge bed area with cardboard, and topped it with straw and
wood chips for one whole growing season. This year the weeds are gone
and the soil looks great and it is ready to plant. Thus, the organic
sheet mulch method is a viable option for municipalities as well as
for home gardeners.

3.
Rebecca Bryant, a fellow environmental activist from Fayetteville
who posted the original message on Ozark Challenges,
I am happy to report, has done a very nice job of adopting the
organic sheet mulch to a good size portion of an overgrown garden.
After taking one look at the heavy layer of cardboard, soon to be
topped with leaves and straw etc., I am confident that bermuda will
be gone at the end of the growing season and the worms will have a
feast on the organic decay.

Steve Diver
Fayetteville, Arkansas

--