permaculture - Grasses are our friends

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Miekal And <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Grasses are our friends
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 16:17:20 +0100

> At 03:02 PM 3/17/97 -0500, Rebbry@aol.com wrote:

As for bermuda, I've tried everything
> >from Round-up to buried flashing to digging out beds and laying landscape
> >fabric down first. Eventually, bermuda snakes its way in. How are you
> >folks dealing with these challenges? Rebecca Bryant

Rebecca, you take your potatoe fork & you bend over dig em out. Havent
found anything else that work. We have quack grass here, number one
invasive time consuming garden concern. One control that Ive been
interested in trying is making a tea out of diseased quackgrass &
spraying it on healthy plants. Might be worth a try with bermuda as
well.

Loren Davidson wrote:

> There's probably a secret Permaculture technique for turning Bermuda grass
> into a cash crop, but I don't know what it is.

Joe Hollis told us that quackgrass rhizomes are selling for $50/lb.
Hmmm?

Miekal

--
Dreamtime Village website: http://net22.com/dreamtime