permaculture - Re: Roundup

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: Roundup
  • Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 23:27:21 -0400

On Thu, 02 Aug 2001 11:44:19 -0700, Toby Hemenway
<hemenway@jeffnet.org> wrote:

>on 8/2/01 10:03 AM, Linda Smith at lsmitholy@aol.com wrote:
>
>> What exactly is Roundup?
>
>There's a very good PDF file on Roundup at
>http://www.beyondpesticides.org/index.html
>Scroll down to "pesticide fact sheets" and look under "glyphosate," the
>generic name for Roundup. If you can't deal with PDFs, let me know and I'll
>copy the text into an email.

See also a roundup.faq here - lots of additional info + testimonies
+ reports:
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pesticide-education/faqs/roundup.faq
more in:
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pesticide-education/

> >Does it decompose
>> into inert chemicals as touted by Monsanto?
>
>Under perfect laboratory conditions, it decomposes into inert chemicals in a
>few days to

>weeks.
months if not years depending on application rate
-
conrinued, regular application around trees can kill them

>In the field, it takes much longer (a half-life of over

>100 days), and in water, especially buried in river sediments, it can take
>many years to decompose. Roundup's public image as "nearly harmless" is a
>tribute to the genius of Monsanto's marketing department. They've done a
>brilliant job of ignoring any data they don't like, doing just the right
>tests, and telling the public what they want to hear. For a while they were
>calling Roundup "environmentally friendly" until FDA made them stop.
>
>Toby
>For a look at my new book on ecological gardening,
>Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture, visit
>http://www.chelseagreen.com/Garden/GaiasGarden.htm

L.F.London ICQ#27930345 lflondon@mindspring.com
www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech london@ibiblio.org

  • Re: Roundup, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 08/02/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Roundup, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 08/03/2001