permaculture - Re: Roundup

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: Roundup
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 06:10:44 -0400

On Fri, 03 Aug 2001 16:08:45 +0800, Bob <rmhoward@omninet.net.au>
wrote:

>Toby Hemenway wrote:
>> >Does it decompose
>> > into inert chemicals as touted by Monsanto?
>>
>> Under perfect laboratory conditions, it decomposes into inert chemicals in
>> few days to weeks. In the field, it takes much longer (a half-life of over
>> 100 days), and in water, especially buried in river sediments, it can take
>> many years to decompose.

>Depends on the field - 100 days in soil with low organic matter - much
>quicker in soil
>with high organic content. Otherwise there's a lot of farmers who couldn't
>undertake
>minimum tillage. .

...... otherwise there are a lot of farmers who couldn't undertake
minimum tillage because they are too lazy or stupid or greedy or
any/all of the above.
...... Roundup is _required_ to do minimum tillage? Absurd.
What propaganda have you been reading?

>We should not jump to conclusions about the safety and hazard of Round up
>based upon
>reports from Columbia - who knows what those idiots from Air Amerika are
>mixing in
>with it.

The safety and hazards of using Roundup are already widely known;
noone needs the smoke screen of a faked-up drug war campaign of abuse
on the underprivileged in a foreign country to draw any conclusions or
assumptions about pesticide use.

L.F.London ICQ#27930345 lflondon@mindspring.com
www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech london@ibiblio.org

  • Re: Roundup, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 08/02/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Roundup, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 08/03/2001