percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Would Kierkegaard Blog? Would Percy?

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Robert Eckert <rgeckert AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Would Kierkegaard Blog? Would Percy?
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 09:16:50 -0800 (PST)

I wonder what exactly "other things" means here.

I trust Lawrwnce realizes that Percy corresponded with friends, readers, and ect... precisely to see what they thought of his wonderful essays and novels.

Lawrence Rhu <rhul AT gwm.sc.edu> wrote:
I wonder exactly what "extensive correspondence" means here. I trust that it means he wrote lots of people and was indeed exceptionally responisve to those who wrote him, whether they were friends or readers who had no previous acquaintance with him. Percy was gracious and prompt to respond in this regard so far as I can tell. But as a writer of letters, Percy strikes me as rather preoccupied with other things -- his wonderful novels and essays. The correspondence with Shelby Foote certainly demonstrates this imbalance, though maybe his published correspondence about Peirce with K. Kendler is different. I don't know and must look to see about that. Does anbody know of any other correspondence of Percy that is really ample and committed to letter-writing itself as a resource for sustained reflection and dialogue?

Larry

Lawrence F. Rhu
Associate Professor of English and Comparative Literature
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208
Tel: 803 777 0144
Fax: 803 777 9064
Email: rhul AT sc.edu

>>> rgeckert AT yahoo.com 12/08/05 11:01 AM >>>
Walker Percy certainly carried on an extensive correspondence and K wrote like mad--even to himself--K. used to carry on debates in his personal journals with the various psuedonyms he had created.

It would be interesting to know just how many people wrote to Percy and got (seemingly same day) responses. Must be thousands.

Robert Eckert
Rochester, NY

MorrisJD AT aol.com wrote:
2 of 2 from same.