pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] new comments on 0.2.3 - advanced search

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "Permaculture Plant DB project" <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] new comments on 0.2.3 - advanced search
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:59:48 -1000 (HST)

Aloha,

> After a successful (and tasty) meeting (and dinner) with Stephanie,
> I've done a little work on altering the look of PIW, moving it to
> something more modern. Dropping the drawing, and switching to pictures.
> Check it out here:
> http://www.permaculture.info/test/piw2/

I don't dislike it. However... :-)
I like the line drawings and the current logo better than the green PIW
marble. The marble is cool, but the drawings feel more relevant to
me...they are plants in a guild of sorts, after all.
Definitely want fluid layout. Why waste screen width with white space and
force people to scroll more? Absolutely for search results. Could
compromise on fixed content, depending. Too narrow as is.
Pop-up advanced search is cool.
Except when part of it is below the window bottom and I have to scroll to
use it.
Also, there needs to be vanilla html (xhtml 1.0 valid, if that's still our
standard) access to everything, no dependency on javascript for
accessibility. I don't really care how that's handled, as long as it's
transparent and bombproof (e.g. if using browser sniffing it needs to
degrade gracefully in favor of accessibility and work with whatever known
issues there are in browser self-identification).

cheers,