pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] 0.3.0

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "pcplantdb" <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] 0.3.0
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:32:05 -1000 (HST)

Aloha,

> Well, it's not done yet, but 0.3.0 will allow users to add and edit
> plants (botanical names, synonyms, and common names), plant
> descriptions, suitable locations, and cultivars...

cool!

> I realize that the current version 0.2.4 (cvs rel_0_2_4) has not been
> tested hardly at all. Additionally I would like to freeze and branch
> either 0.3.0 or 0.2.4 to stabilize and debug before pushing it onto
> the main www.permaculture.info server (currently running 0.1.6 or some
> such) in order to get more eyes on it and show something less stale.
> Sound like a plan?

My thoughts on testing are:

'The public' will need enough functionality to make it interesting enough
to use so that it will get some thrashing that way.

So with 0.3.0 we may have that 'enough functionality'. Maybe not with
0.2.x, which may be more of a 'multi' unit-testing situation (pieces of
functionality tested in relative isolation, often requiring white-box
testing and/or developer-level knowledge of the code and ways to exercise
it).

0.2.x can be black-box tested as a search engine for a static database,
but not much more afaik. User registration too I suppose.

> I will also be halting this recent development flurry shortly for 1-2
> weeks (starting early August) in order to do some concentrated
> construction projects.

If that's your first estimate, better make it 2-4 weeks...you may already
have done enough building projects to know this... ;-)

I alas will not be able to do much testing, issue tracker tweaking etc for
some weeks to come. Hopefully it's bearable as is...

John S.
Vasa, Finland (for one more day, then on to Jakobstad area).

  • [pcplantdb] 0.3.0, Chad Knepp, 07/25/2005
    • Re: [pcplantdb] 0.3.0, John Schinnerer, 07/28/2005