pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] new comments on 0.2.3 - advanced search

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] new comments on 0.2.3 - advanced search
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:17:44 -0500

Richard Morris writes:
> Bear Kaufmann wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > After a successful (and tasty) meeting (and dinner) with Stephanie,
> > I've done a little work on altering the look of PIW, moving it to
> > something more modern. Dropping the drawing, and switching to pictures.
> > Check it out here:
> > http://www.permaculture.info/test/piw2/
> > You'll note the tabs have changed, per Stephanie's suggestion, though
> > they don't link to anything, since the content is pending.
> > I decided to go with a white background, which seems a bit cheerier,
> > with the grey behind.
> > I narrowed the content into a small box, which is probably too small if
> > it was to remain a fixed width layout, and I could return to a fluid
> > layout for the whole site.
>
> Never personally been a fan of fixed width. Having just got myself a 19"
> screen I want to use it.

I think I was initially less excited about the new layout based on the
narrow display. It only takes up 50% of my browser window and I think
it I would rather it be closer to 75% (relative width or
interchangable style sheets?). This is the only thing I don't think I
zcan live with as is.

> > We might want to use the fixed width on content pages, and search
> > results get returned with a sparser, full page layout.
> > Note the integrated advanced search.
> >
> Nice, I'd make the search box bigger. I prefer the old PIW logo, the
> round sphere does nothing for me.

I prefer the old one as well, but I'm fairly certain that it's a
copyrighted (in the worst way) image and we would either need to
license it or get official permission from Tagari, Bill, and the
illustrator... Hey, lets host a logo contest like a *real* open
source project ;-)

> Also I'd really like to see a Plants For A Future logo on the front
> page, something like incorperating data from Ken Fern/Plants For A Future.

Agreed, I think it could go footer and appear on all the pages. Does
Plants For A Future have a small logo?

> Like the way you've arranged the Habits. We'll want a lot more fields on
> an advanced search.

I also like the drop down format for advanced search on every page. A
definite 0.3.0 feature.

> > Also, see this:
> > http://www.permaculture.info/test/piw2/search_improved.php

I've got some questions. I'm assuming that in this example vine, poor
soil, neutral ph, and Rosaceae are the search terms. What would
clicking on the x-button link next to these terms do? What would the
filter+shrub and filter+tree do? Also how do you go from vine to
suggesting shrub and trees as filters? Why not annual for example?
I'm assuming that edit search would take you back to your search form
in it's former state. Is there anyway we can do this without having
to do insert selected="sdf" stuff into a dynamic version of the
form... for example is there any way to fool the browser to pass on
the info to the hidden advanced search form?

> > Playing with a folksonomic search browser like layout for habit
> > (text-size represents percentage of tag hits in the result set).
> > It might be best used as 2 different search modalities...

I think we could put this as a new format ('folksonomic'
maybe)... Relative sized fonts sounds like a good way to visually and
textually represent info.

BTW in the process of making it possible to add/edit plants I
converted the plant_locations table to a tagged format:

describe plant_locations_II;
+----------+--------------------+------+-----+----------------+-------+
| Field | Type | Null | Key | Default | Extra
+----------+--------------------+------+-----+----------------+-------+
| plant_id | int(10) unsigned | | PRI | 0 |
| author | varchar(25) binary | | PRI | Ken Fern |
| location | varchar(30) | | PRI | in cultivation |
+----------+--------------------+------+-----+----------------+-------+

select distinct location from plant_locations_II;
+------------------------+
| location |
+------------------------+
| along a sunny edge |