pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] issue tracker feedback properties - feedback please

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <john@eco-living.net>, Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] issue tracker feedback properties - feedback please
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:31:07 -0800

Great, John!

What is the KISS philosophy? COMMENTS IN CAPS:

Issue status is where the issue is in its process of birth, life and
death. Current list of status options:

New (not yet assigned to anyone)
Open (assigned to someone and hopefully in progress)
Resolved (for bugs - assignee claims bug is fixed)
Completed (for tasks - assignee claims task is completed)
Deferred (just what it says - on hold for some reason)
Closed (fixing of bug or completion of task verified)

What else might you want for status of an issue?

WHO IS ALLOWED TO MARK BUGS AS RESOLVED? ASSIGNEE, OR YOU, OR BOTH? AND DOES
CLOSED MEAN IT WAS NOT RESOLVED, AND SIMPLY CLOSED?

Issue priority means "how important is dealing with this to the
progress/success of the project?" Current priority options for an issue are:

Critical (really really gotta deal with this ASAP)
Urgent (way more important than average but not quite critical)
Average (don't panic, and don't ignore either...)
Low (no big deal, get a round tuit eventually)

Comments?

There will be a Component property also, identifying what more specific
part of the larger system the issue is in.
Examples would be:

UI
Graphics
DB Engine
Data (a.k.a. Content)
Functionality
Front End
etc. etc.

This can be real slippery...mixing stuff like I have in my examples can
get confusing, especially between the programmers' view of the system
and the users' view of the system. I need to think about this some
more. Suggestions welcome as to what would work best for you in this
property.
I AGREE THIS COULD GET CONFUSING FOR USERS. PERHAPS COMBINE UI AND GRAPHICS.
ALSO, IT'S STRANGE THAT EVERYTHING IS AN ACTUAL COMPONENT EXCEPT FOR
'FUNCTIONALITY' - DOESN'T THAT PERTAIN TO ANYTHING? YOU MIGHT WANT TO HAVE
DESCRIPTIONS OF WHAT ALL THESE COMPONENTS ARE SO USERS KNOW. I WOULD MAKE IT
EVEN SIMPLER:

UI (INCLUDING GRAPHICS AND WHATEVER THE USER DIRECTLY SEES)
SOFTWARE (INCLUDING DB ENGINE AND CODE)
CONTENT (INFORMATION)

OR IS THIS TOO SIMPLE?

OTHER NOTES:
-WHO WILL BE ASSIGNING BUGS (ONLY YOU?)?
-WOULD YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT PLATFORM USERS ARE USING?
-IF WE'RE GONNA BE RELEASING DIFFERENT VERSIONS, WILL YOU BE ASSIGNING THAT
FIELD FOR THE USERS?
-I KNOW USERS CAN ENTER THEIR NAMES, BUT SHOULD WE MAKE A FIELD FOR CONTACT
INFO? (SO YOU CAN GET IN TOUCH WITH SOMEONE THAT ENTERED A BUG TO ASK FOR
MORE DETAIL, IF NECESSARY.)
-TEXT BOX FOR STEPS TO REPRODUCE?
-DO YOU WANT TO CREATE SOMEWHAT OF A STANDARD FOR THE SUBJECT LINE OF THE BUG?
OR WILL PEOPLE BE CALLING THEIR BUGS WHATEVER THEY WANT?
-WILL THERE BE FILTERS? SO USERS CAN SORT BUGS BY COMPONENT, STATUS, OR
OTHERWISE? CAN USERS CREATE NEW FILTERS?
-I KNOW YOU'LL BE CREATING TUTORIAL MATERIALS, BUT WILL THERE BE A HELP
FEATURE?

THANKS, I LOOK FORWARD TO USING IT ;)

ADIOS
*s