pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] issue tracker feedback properties - feedback please

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] issue tracker feedback properties - feedback please
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:12:55 +0000

Stephanie Gerson wrote:
Great, John!

What is the KISS philosophy?

Keep it simple stupid.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The KISS principle is a popular maxim often invoked when discussing design to fend off creeping featurism and control complexity of development. The traditional expansion of this acronym is "Keep it Simple, Stupid". Maybe because of the implied irreverence (or blatant insult, depending on perception) the acronym is rarely explained. Where concerns over the word "stupid" exist, a euphemistic explanation of "Keep It Simple and Straight-forward" is sometimes resorted to. Other expansions of the acronym include "Keep it Simple and Stupid" (often used when discussing artificial intelligence), "Keep It Small and Simple" or "Keep It Short and Simple" (a common marketing maxim for sales presentations).

The KISS principle today is often used by software developers - meaning the software should be designed in the simplest way, and unneeded features should not be added. It is also in widespread use in the business community.

More particularly, it is a leading principle in designing critical low-level routines of operating system kernels (at least for linux), where it suggests to write the code in the most simple and self-explaining manner, to avoid errors (or make it easy to find them).

As to the other issues raised, all good point. I've a feeling most will be sorted when the tracker goes live. I see it primarily as a tool for
developers as a way of orginizing ourselves. I keen to see things up and running, the fine details can be sorted after that.