pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Formal Spec

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>, permacultureinfo@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Formal Spec
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:26:50 -0800 (PST)

Ex:
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd";>

if the file changes, the standard is changed, but that
would work out so well for the browser that was
programmed to follow the old file standard. In the
end, it depends, as usual. What to do with the
<PLANT> tag is different than enforcing that it should
contain a <SPECIES> tag. In the end, neither matters
until the whole system catches up to the change.

I'm not well versed on XML, just familiar with the
concept. All of the new standards turn out to be the
same old pattern in new clothes, so I'm not sure what
to expect with XML Schemas. Schema to me is the DDL
package for the database. Sorry for any confusion.

In Linux, make files can become tedious and
unpredictable. The commands strace and libtool are
the tools to pin down which wrong library was getting
used, or whatever the endless problems turn out to be
days later. You may consider trying yum. Unlike
rpmtool and using make files, yum does a little
research and installs the missing components before
leaving you confused for days because you didn't know
gcc version blah sucked or that libc++ was needed
first. On linux, you will likely use the bash shell,
but tcsh works like csh if you wanted it. Upgrade the
Win95 PC to Linux. Unless you still need some program
for printing out sticker labels, you will likely have
a more peaceful life getting rid of the bloatware (95
is still floating on DOS underneath).

These looked interesting:
http://www.gregorpurdy.com/gregor/psh/
ftp://ftp.blarg.net/users/amol/zsh/
http://jlb.twu.net/code/unixkit.php
http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin/
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

I used Hamilton years ago, but then I didn't pay for
it either.

-Sean.