pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Formal Spec

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>, permacultureinfo@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Formal Spec
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:34:27 -0800

Sean Maley wrote:

DTD (Document Type Definitions):
In an XML document (or even HTML), a compendium of
tag specifications must be specified that defined the
tags being used. For an HTML document, tags like
<TABLE>, <P>, and <HTML> should have rules and
components defined within a document specified at the
top of the HTML document. Similarly, our DTD document
for plant information exchange may have tags like
<PLANT>, <SPECIES>, and <USE>.

Interesting! So new tags like <PLANT> can be created on the fly
and associated with our _XML_ DTD. I assume this could not occur in
an HTML DTD since there's no HTML 4 tag for it. Is this correct?

Schema:
The organization of data within a database starting
with entities (the tables), the elements (columns)
contained in them, and the relationships (which
column(s) in one table match column(s) within
another).

Use cases may be useful to organize the DTD. The
database design must first have these usage patterns
defined, so will await the DTD spec.

Who will use the system and what are they doing to
interact with it? Will they want any specific
analysis? What information will be entered. We have
a good chunk being discussed in another thread.

Thanks for the offer of a shell login on your machine. I would
like to have a look at this. I have had Unix and later Linux shell access on
ibiblio
since 1993 so have had time to appreciate what Linux can do. I am a believer.
My only access to the Internet was limited to my account on ibiblio for years
until
the Web came into being and I got a computer that could run Win 95.
I need to have Linux or Linux commands on my home machine and also use my
ibiblio
login to continue development of my collections on ibiblio - hope to do more
of this.

Somewhere along the line I need to learn how to install Linux apps in my
account on ibiblio
and later on my home machine. Learning about makefile and configuring a
bashrc or cshrc
are part of the learning curve for me.

Maybe you could join us in the permacultureinfo list to continue some of this
discussion
with other newbies like me in that forum - Linux & PC threads are perfect
there along with lots of
other web dev things.

Cheers,

Market Farming Forum