pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Formal Spec

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Formal Spec
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:35:50 -0800 (PST)

DTD (Document Type Definitions):
In an XML document (or even HTML), a compendium of
tag specifications must be specified that defined the
tags being used. For an HTML document, tags like
<TABLE>, <P>, and <HTML> should have rules and
components defined within a document specified at the
top of the HTML document. Similarly, our DTD document
for plant information exchange may have tags like
<PLANT>, <SPECIES>, and <USE>.

Schema:
The organization of data within a database starting
with entities (the tables), the elements (columns)
contained in them, and the relationships (which
column(s) in one table match column(s) within
another).

Use cases may be useful to organize the DTD. The
database design must first have these usage patterns
defined, so will await the DTD spec.

Who will use the system and what are they doing to
interact with it? Will they want any specific
analysis? What information will be entered. We have
a good chunk being discussed in another thread.

-Sean.