pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Invasive plants

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: PCPLANTDB <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Invasive plants
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:47:31 +0000

A week or so back we discussed whether to include information about invasive plants. I got this email yesterday putting a strong case for including this info.
Rich
-----------

Dear Webmaster,

In doing research on invasive alien plants, I came across your website.
I am very concerned that you are encouraging people in the UK to import
species from the United States and other areas of the world. Please do
not do this! The detrimental impacts of imported species on native
species has been tremendous – especially on the “rare and unusual
plants” that you are interested in maintaining. I understand that
Britain may not YET be experiencing the same magnitude of overwhelming
inundation by alien invasive plants that the U.S., Australia, the
Pacific Island countries, various countried in Africa and other regions
of the world have experienced. You have had detrimental invasions
though and are sure to have more in the future. If you want your rare
flora and fauna to survive, please help to prevent the importation of
species from other parts of the world.

Thank you.

Elizabeth Crowe
Vegetation Ecologist
Greater Yellowstone Inventory and Monitoring Network