pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] website

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] website
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 21:35:59 +0000

Chad Knepp wrote:
So, permaculture.info looks different. What do you think now?

Looks good to me overall visually. Earthy colors seem appropriate... ;-)

Page titles should include text 'permaculture information web' or similar, e.g. 'Welcome - Permaculture Information Web', 'Vision - Permaculture Information Web' and so on.
Google among others uses page titles to categorize, so title should contain key words we want to be recognized by.

Top tab navigation will morph to what when we have too many pages to use some relatively small number of top tabs? Assuming we will at some point - perhaps not...?

The ibiblio logo lower right is kinda fuzzy-looking at the edges of colors.

Passes my ad-hoc lynx text browser accessibility test OK.

Fails HTML validation with 11 errors (12 counting the initial "no char encoding found" warning). Home page that is - didn't try them all but I reckon that's indicative, as you said you were using some kind of homebrew templating system...?

Validation done here:

http://validator.w3.org/

No comments here yet on my nomination of XHTML 1.0 transitional as our standard for web page validation.
Pages so far are specified as HTML 4.0 transitional.

I want consensus on our HTML standard before more work is done on the web pages to avoid Chad or whomever having to rework them all if group choice doesn't match what's already been done.

Please post your nominations/comments/votes on HTML validation standard for PIW web site.

It doesn't look very good in Mac/IE5, which
doesn't seem to support css concepts like float.

IE/Mac is very old and moldy. It is at least several years behind everything else and last I heard MS has no plans to upgrade it - ever. Doesn't even support privately signed SSL certs... :-p

It's a tiny tiny fraction of user agents - officially I say don't do anything to accomodate it. I will be happy to recommend standards-supporting browsers to IE/Mac users (Mozilla, Safari, Netscape...).

Speaking of user agents - do we get stats with our ibiblio hosting? Webalyzer or similar?
If so how do we access them?

The About Us page is something that I really felt we needed so I put
it there even though we don't have any content for it.

Agreed, good idea.