pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] What was the decision

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] What was the decision
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 21:56:06 -0600

Half way through my course and a quick check in!

I have read the mail over the past week and am unclear about the final decision about Zope and Ibiblio. When we left it seemed that we had an understanding that Richard M. and Chad would make the final determination according to their needs as programmers to produce a "ka" database.

I have poked around a little and find that funding for Zope is no problem, if we must have it which means, I guess, that with or without Zope we are able to use Ibiblio as our server. Have I missed something?, or am I correct in my assumptions?

I further understand that we are now engaged in a trial run on another server that has been donated for that purpose. So, is our trial run on Zope or what?

Finally, what is our time line to move to Ibiblio and start accepting input from the world at large??
I ask this because I am hopelessly over my head in anything involving computers - beyond word processing, and email - and feel that my contributions will primarily be in engaging my network of international plant freaks, and scholars ( not necessarily two separate categories) in contributing to the db.

I am a little timorous about bringing this subject up, like picking on a scab, after the intense dialogs that have occurred in the recent past about Zope and servers, but if a decision has been made then it should be clear and stated so we can move on to the next plateau. If this has already happened and I missed it.... then halelulia!!!

I'm back to class in the AM for another week but will check my mail for your responses.

"Onward through the fog!"

Scott