pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] PIW website/shared webspace online

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] PIW website/shared webspace online
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 16:41:49 +0100

Chad Knepp wrote:

This is mostly Chad having fun and doesn't have that much to do with
our project other than having http://permaculture.info resolve to a
pretty webpage. Anyway, this is a heavy duty collaborative CMS
environment complete with workflows and other nifty features... think
*wiki on steroids*. John S.: Collector is there if you wanna mess
with it, but it didn't look that great to me.

Y'all should have gotten an email with a login name and a password
(that you can change). If you didn't and want one write me directly.
If you want to mess around you should be able to create news articles,
discussions, comments, etc. Also check out the search engine.

Looking cool.

Not really relavant at this stage, but a personal bug-bear about this sort of site is having an overloaded front page, with the latest news
on it, and all sort of other stuff.

Great if you are already a site user, but for a new user
I find them very anoying. As a new user the first thing I want to
know is what is this site about and is it worth me spending any more time exploring the site, often you need to explore a few links just to get that basic info. As a new user I don't know enough to actually
make the news meaningful, (OK so version 2.3 has been released
but I don't even know what version 2.2 did so it of no interest to me).

Quite what do you put "above the fold" (i.e. in the first screen full of info) is one of the most important design issues in website design.

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
Email: webmaster@pfaf.org