pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] PIW website/shared webspace online

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] PIW website/shared webspace online
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 20:49:44 -0500

Stephanie Gerson writes:
> Looks beautiful, Chad!
>
> I don't think I got a login name and password, can you please send me
> one. Also, I'm a bit embarassed that I'm the only one without a
> website...been planning to build one for myself, maybe now is the time.

I'll send it. I may have missed clicking the 'email password' box...

> I like the idea of the logo, but I don't really like *it*...yet:
> -web looks too diffuse and foggy, you can't really see it that well
> -since the letters PIW are light, and "ermaculture," "information," and
> "web" are light, it doesn't read intuitively that P goes with
> "ermaculture, etc. Although it is obvious to us, since the letters are
> the same color as the background, they fade into it. And since the word
> letters are bright black, they stand out. I would make PIW darker or the
> words a bit lighter. But I would also change a few things... I'll
> sketch some things out, and maybe find a scanner (since I wouldn't be
> able to do this on Photoshop).
> Am I being too nitpicky? Logos can definitey turn you on or off...

Not to picky, I have the exact same criticisms, but I wasn't able to
incorporate a web, the acronym, and the full name... doing just PIW
with a web motif would be easier to make less 'foggy'. I matched the
logo color with the rest of the site color which ends up kind of
light, but it could be a completely different color.

This is actually the second logo although the changes are subtle.
I'll keep playing in my free time if people have more feedback.
Increasing contrast/readability is high on the list. What do folks
think about just using the acronym?

perl -e 'print pack"H*","7079674067616c617465612e6f72670a"'