pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] moving on III

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] moving on III
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 21:30:04 -0500

If any of you have met or heard of Laird Schaub he would be probably
point out that this is the critical moment of emotional intensity and
that as a facilitator it would be really helpful to explore this
conflict between John S. and Lawrence. Although Laird is my process
idol and I understand and agree with his methodology, I really don't
have the time or energy to carry this out over email. I am
deliberately going to sweep this under the rug with full knowledge
that this will probably rear its head again disguised in a different
issue.

Speaking as myself, not as a facilitator, Lawrence you've behaved
pretty badly, resorting to threats and emotional violence in
representing your concerns and still being unwilling to move from
them. Most/many of the rest of the group has a different analysis of
issues around hosting and you were not able to lend trust to the group
for this decision. Although I am suggesting that the group stretch a
lot here I doubt the group will be able to stretch like this on a
regular basis.

John S. you let yourself get drawn into fight here and responded to
Lawrence in kind. Tut, tut, etc.

For a complex mess of reasons I will not articulate at this point, I
feel that the best direction to go at this point is to reiterate my
latest proposal.

The project platform will start based on the Eden engine with an ORM
interface to an RDBMS (probably MySQL) anticipating forward porting
to Zope 3 in the future if funding and hosting allows. Also, it
will be hosted on ibiblio.

John S. and John H. I realize that this is probably pretty
disappointing. It is also not really what I thought was the best
choice. If you can see through to going with this proposal we can
pack all of this mess into a tight little box and get down and dirty
with some real dev... it's still python anyway! I think everyone else
is at least 'ok' with this decision.

So if I don't hear any 'emphatic NOs' in the next 36+ hours, I will
contact ibiblio to start an account and begin work sometime around
Noon (GMT -500) Monday. Doing it this way is not *real* consensus but
then again, who ever heard of doing consensus over email ;-)