pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] moving on II

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>, <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] moving on II
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:56:19 -0700

Hmph.

Now it seems that we have achieved consensus on 2 proposals (after we couldn't
even achieve consensus on 1, now we have 2?!):

1-start with ZOPE on Arashi, and move onto Ibiblio when feasible
2-start with Chad's proposed platform on Ibiblio, and perhaps switch over to
ZOPE someday

Lawrence will not block the former, and Schinnerer will not block the latter.

I would like to take the liberty to direct this question specifically to Chad
- understanding the above, which option do you choose?

Oy ve
*s

John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net> wrote:

Aloha,

Richard Archer wrote:
> Personally I don't buy into Lawrence's assertion that ibiblio is
> essential to the success of this project. And I don't believe
> that Lawrence's participation is essential either, although his
> many years of experience with pc and putting things online would
> certainly be welcome.

None of us is indispensable, and no particular hosting service is
indispensable.

> Most strongly I believe that restraints of the type Lawrence is
> imposing on this project can only reduce the chance of producing
> a successful application at the end of the day. It is not in any
> way necessary at this stage to restrict our options to hosting
> in a particular place!

Agreed.

> Hosting for 4 GB of data and 40 GB of traffic runs to about $75
> per month. I can't imagine this project generating anything like
> that much traffic, especially since it needs to be written so as
> to minimise bandwidth use to make it usable from developing
> countries where internet access is still slow and expensive.

Let's please keep that latter in mind. Otherwise we are serving only
those who already have all the toys, maybe 5% of human beings, those who
are most materially comfortable and have the least to (apparently, in
their world view) gain from permaculture anyhow.